Sorry for the absence. Wax Trash has been partying pretty hard celebrating the breakup of garage-pop turdburglars JET. Anyway, we’ve got a slate of reviews, and we wanted to take a page from the Totally Awesome and Intelligent Dean Professor Mr. Sir Madame of Rock Critics and get them all out the door. Here we go.
1. SPIDER FEVER – S/T LP: Asskicking 70’s punk. It’s a solid meat-and-potatoes release; good, but not a must-own or anything. If you’re into the ‘old-guys-showing-you-how-it’s-done’ trip, you’re better off with drummer Mario’s other band, OFF! http://www.facebook.com/pages/SPIDER-FEVER/129516360409286?ref=ts
2. THE GLORIOUS VEINS – S/T LP: Not sure the Veins’ publicist really gets our vibe here at WT. This is fairly tuneful herky-jerky dancey post-punk…i guess it’s like FOALS? do the kids like them?
3. SLEEPING IN THE AVIARY – EXPENSIVE VOMIT IN A CHEAP HOTEL LP: Standard issue folk-punk. There’s some good moments and good lyrics on here, and the singer’s got his style down pat, but it gets a little too sleepy at times. scienceofsoundrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sleeping-in-the-aviary-expensive-vomit-in-a-cheap-hotel
4. THE FUCKING HOTLIGHTS – HIGH SOCIETY TORTURE PARTY LP: Noisy hardcore influenced punk. These guys probably really like FUCKED UP, but thankfully aren’t as pretentious. There’s a few good moments, but 11 tracks gets tiring. http://thefuckinghotlights.bandcamp.com/album/high-society-torture-party
5. THE MOVEMENTS/ANGRY DEAD PIRATES – SPLIT 10”: European garage maniacs tear through 6 tracks of American garage. REIGNING SOUND vs. THE BLACK LIPS. The tunes are there, and so are the hooks, but the recording quality is a little exhausting. This is worth picking up. http://soundcloud.com/pariah-records/sets/split-10-pariah-02/