JOEY GHOSTLY is the amp-murdering frontman for NYC trio THE ENTHUSIASTS, who are tearing shit up with their brand of 70’s inspired in-the-red rock and roll. After a 7″ last year which has been extremely well received (“Sinkin/Risin b/w Joanne”), they’ve finished their new LP, which is pretty fucking great. Joey took time to drop these 10 bangers on us; “it’s just shit I’ve been into lately,” he explains. “Actually its a good playlist to bump in the car on the way to a show…with the exception of the neil young track cuz that 1 is mad slow and depressing” – we’re inclined to agree. Get your ears bloodied at the link below, and check THE ENTHUSIASTS ON FACEBOOK
1. Timmy’s Organism – ‘MONSTER WALK’ One of my favorite tracks off the new Timmy’s Organism LP. Surprise surprise, Timmy’s still got it. duh.
2. Apache – ‘THE REAL SHIT’ A real gem from Apaches underrated debut – Boomtown Gems. An anthem that makes us bummy dropouts and jobless weirdos look cooler than the college grads. “you wanna be a scientist, suckin on your mommy’s tits” …need I say more?
3. Mujeres – ‘BLOOD MERIDIAN’ Good fast sloppy Barcelona garage rock. For fans of Davila 666, Los Vigilantes, or for anyone who has a soul.
4. Jay Reatard – ‘MAN OF STEEL’ R.I.P. Jay. Total genius and huge influence on me, blah blah blah. One of the first Reatard tracks I’d heard was an old demo of this song. I love both versions. You don’t know how badly I wanna hear the rejected version of Watch Me Fall.
5. Blondie – ‘YOUTH NABBED AS SNIPER’ I’m just now getting into Blondie. I never thought the Lost Sounds were influenced by Blondie till I heard this track. RIPPER.
6. Midnite Snaxxx – ‘GUYS LIKE THAT’ Catchy hooky sugary girl punk. As fun as the first Donnas album. These bitches can write hooks for days.
7. Baby Jean – ‘DANCE IF YOU WANNA’ Like i said – this is for anyone that has a soul.
8. Human Eye – ‘THE MOVIE WAS REAL’ The Movie Was Real!!!!! From Timmy’s best album ever and modern psych classic They Came From The Sky.
9. Neil Young – ‘MOTION PICTURES’ Another song about movies. Recently I was talking with a friend about whether this song was happy or sad. I’m still not sure. All I know is that slide guitar kills me.
10. Ty Segall Band – ‘WAVE GOODBYE’ Sam from the Nubians showed me this one and I was surprised how much I dug it. This is one of the only Ty Segall songs I really like. Heavy as fuck. Good job, Ty. Maybe theres more up yer sleeve than I thought…